ON THE BENEFITS OF SUBORDINATE EXERCISES
BOTH IN REGARDS TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE BODY AS WELL AS THE WELL-BEING OF THE MIND
BY DONNY SHANKLE CPT
“Familiarity Breeds Contempt.” Anonymous
Medicine Ball Chest Pass
Medicine ball passes get your arms moving fast during a jerk. The “dip and drive” in your legs is what moves the bar powerfully during a jerk. Combining an athletic “dip and drive” with an understanding of bar oscillation (feeling the bar whip against you) is 99% of the battle for the jerk. However, the other important details during a jerk which account for the other 1% are enough to cause you to miss the lift if they are done incorrectly. Things like staying on your heels, dipping straight and driving straight, and keeping your elbows up are all paramount. Moving like molasses in the winter is what usually causes a weightlifter to miss a jerk in competition or training which he was easily capable of doing. Moving both your arms and feet fast, and in unison, is the finishing touch you need for something beautiful to take place. The moment your arms lock during a jerk must be timed perfectly with your lead foot slapping violently against the platform.
Believe it or not as a kid I was a fast son-of-a-gun. I used to run down my neighbor on his bicycle barefooted. My little T-Rex arms could also chest pass a basket ball against a wall 60 times in 30 seconds. Much of speed and strength for a weightlifter and any athlete is determined by their coordination. Coordination is vastly improved through years of repetition. I remember as a boy having great hand and eye coordination for some reason. It must have been all that climbing I did up and down the magnolia tree in my backyard. Perhaps it was all the waxing my father made me do on his car each week. In the Marine Corps I could easily disassemble and reassemble my rifle faster than anyone else in my platoon. Whatever it was, I always had a good feel where to put something with my hands, and how to precisely and powerfully get it there. Medicine ball chest passes will help to build that power you need to move quickly during a jerk and build some coordination with your arms and hands. Timing this coordination with your “split” during a jerk is tough for some but you can do it. With practice you will do it easily.
|T-Rex would have made a good weightlifter.|
To set up for this exercise face a wall in your “split” command. You should be about 4-5 feet from the wall. Remember to keep your back knee down. Using a light medicine ball pass the ball from your chest hard against the wall. With each pass hold your “split” command strictly. As the ball bounces back to you quickly perform another repetition. The harder you throw it the better so get some frustration out. Focus on moving your arms as fast as possible and lock your arms out with each rep the same way you would for a jerk. Keep your eyes on the ball and have a little fun with this one.
REPS: As many as possible
ADVANCED WAY: N/A
DURATION: 30 seconds per set
PLACEMENT IN TRAINING: Directly after you jerk from the blocks towards the end of a weeks training.